Tuesday, July 12, 2011

MEETING ARTHUR

OUR FIRST FAMILY PHOTO
I love how our hands are all intertwined :)

So, what was it like meeting my son for the first time? I've been wanting to write about this, but I just don't know if I can craft the words in a way that really gives that moment justice. I hardly even know where to start.

How about we back up to April 5, when we received THE phone call from our consultant. That day, we got to hear a little bit about our son. It wasn't a lot of information, but there were some details (details that I cannot wait to share) that created a pretty intense connection between me and my boy. God just made it VERY obvious that this was my son and I was meant to be his mama! Aaron and I spent the next three months gazing at the only two pictures we had, noticing every little detail. And, yes, sometimes we held the photo kissed his little two dimensional face.

We received news of our court date on May 20th and had 4 weeks to prepare for our trip. I was nervous! My stomach did a flip every time I thought about meeting Arthur. What would he think of us? What if he didn't respond well to us? What if our white faces and huge glasses scared him? What if he cried and I couldn't console him? What if he liked Aaron more than me? What if we found out he was sick and we had to leave him?

Fast forward to the day we are in Ethiopia about to meet Arthur. We were still nervous, but really more excited than anything! By that time I was just ready to hold him and kiss him, crying or not! We were in a room with two other families who were about to meet their sons for the first time too! The nurses came in and asked the names of our babies so that they could go and get them ready for us. One by one, they brought the babies in. We watched (and filmed and photographed) as the two other families met their boys and then waited patiently (me more patient than Aaron) by the door for Arthur. The nurse walked up to the room carrying Arthur and sweetly kissed him before handing him to Aaron. His eyes fixed on Aaron's face and he touched his face so sweetly and gently almost like he was greeting him in some way. (or maybe he just wanted to put those glasses in his mouth). I stole him away from Aaron pretty quickly and he touched my face the same way he touched Aaron's. He took turns staring at the two of us! It was such an incredible moment! There was an instant connection that I can't explain. All of our insecurities about being parents vanished and in that moment I became a mom and Aaron became a dad!

I actually became an aunt that day too, but I'll tell you more about that later ;)

7 comments:

  1. Oh my. I'm crying. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Hey thanks for the print! I received it today and can't wait to hang it in Finn's room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the photograph. although i can't wait to see his lil' brown face, there is something really symbolic of the way you can't see the faces but everything is intertwined and looks like the perfect family. just like adoption. that amazing connection without looking alike or knowing someone from the beginning. my heart is so happy for you three :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm crying. i can't wait for you to post pictures of him. he's the most beautiful little brown boy. ah. i love him already. i can't wait to squeeze him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EVERY TIME!! I cant read your blog without crying! I cant wait to see that sweet face with yours!

    ReplyDelete