Sunday, January 23, 2011

RADICAL : DAVID PLATT

Ordered this book the other day because we're supposed to read it with our youth kids at Colonial this semester. Pretty soon after I ordered the book I noticed that one of the author's sermons was posted on an adoption blog I read. I have to admit that the first time I listened to this guy I didn't really love his style. He's SUPER dramatic! Nevertheless, he has some interesting things to say about adoption and I got more and more excited to read the book, knowing that the author and I had this common ground.

Here's a video of one of David's sermons talking about adoption and infertility. Coincidence? I'm thinking no ;)

Also I'm REALLY LOVING this book. Here are just a few questions I'm asking myself after reading the first chapter. Really hard, really scary questions...

Have we "missed what is radical about our faith and replaced it with what is comfortable"?

Are we "settling for a Christianity that revolves around catering to ourselves when the central message of the gospel is actually about abandoning ourselves"?

Are we turning Jesus into "a nice, middle-class, American Jesus who doesn't mind materialism... a Jesus who brings us comfort and prosperity as we live out our Christian spin on the American dream"?

Are we "molding Jesus into our image and therefore worshiping ourselves"?

"With the best of intentions... are we actually turning away from Jesus"?

4 comments:

  1. Wow--those are intense questions! This one really hit home for me: "Are we turning Jesus into "a nice, middle-class, American Jesus who doesn't mind materialism... a Jesus who brings us comfort and prosperity as we live out our Christian spin on the American dream"? "

    Thank you for making me think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a really interesting book...I want to hear more thoughts once you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather, my mom goes to Colonial & passed your blog on to me. We're adopting twins from Uganda! Anyway, I couldn't help but comment, I had to chuckle at the description of David being dramatic! Passionate maybe but anything but dramatic! Thanks for the reminder of some of the questions he poses to us, it's certainly a reminder that God didn't call or command us to the comfortable! Will be praying for your journey, love to share the story of Adoption, such a clear picture of what Christ has done for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, yes we go to Brook Hills where David is the pastor! I know what you mean, I don't notice it anymore but it sometimes sounds like he's about to lose his voice and sometimes he really is about to lose his voice! He is a very humble man with a very kind and laid back family who are passionate to show God's glory.
    Anyway, I'm enjoying your blog & reading your story, my mom talks about y'all often :) Hope you're enjoying KC, please eat some Jack Stacks for me!

    ReplyDelete