Friday, July 9, 2010

SCOLA

When we were in Africa, we stayed in tents in a Masai village right at the edge of the Tarangire National Park.
Beautiful... but also dangerous! Elephants, Zebras, Lions, Giraffes just roaming free all around us. We were particularly vulnerable at night which is why a man from the village, a "Masai warrior", guarded us every night with one of those sticks!

I love these guys for their bravery, but I also love these guys for their amazing robes. Bright colorful plaids, mostly red.

It's been 3 years since we were there. I wonder about these friends and what has changed since we left. I wonder about my friend Scola.

For some reason I really connected with this girl. She was really fun yet very "cool", like "teenager cool". She sort of seemed like the leader of the pack with girls her age. And SMART! She knew 3 languages: Swahili, Masai and English. She was teaching me lots of words. The only thing I came away with was counting to 10 in Masai. ha! I miss Africa! Can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment